Thursday 19 January 2012

Fountains

The photo at the head of my blog is of Fountains Abbey near Ripon in North Yorkshire. It was a place my father loved and he and mum would visit there often walking through the majestic grounds in its georgian splendour, with formal arrangements and landscaping around large glass topped lakes. As you walk further you see the Abbey in the distance, walking through the cloisters is like stepping back to the peace and quiet of the Abbey all those years ago. The last time i went there was in August last year, a detour made especially to go there on the way back from Durham and the wedding we had just attended. I don't know if i will get back there again, although my neighbour has a house in northumberland that we stayed in and could again.
Dad's wishes were that his ashes were scattered at the abbey and mum did this a few weeks after he died, i have never been completely sure where his went, but 10 years later i found myself there with my mum's ashes to scatter as she wished to be with dad. I wasn't allowed to scatter them within the boundaries of the abbey and the nearest i could get was under that small green tree in the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment