Wednesday 22 February 2012

Timely

I told you that i had the = the picc line in yesterday, but i didn't regale you with the gory details, how remiss of me!.....bit of a bloody affair and i have a huge bruise wrapped around my elbow. Wasn't as straight forward as the last time i had it, apologies to anyone who maybe facing the prospoect themselves as i said the last one was fine but this time it got stuck under my elbow as she was pushing it through and i could feel it just underneath my elbow! like it kept hitting an edge...well it was i offered to straighten my arm a bit and then it went through. The next thing was i could feel copious amounts of warm liquid dripping over and down my arm....took me a moment to realise it was my blood. I am quite happy to regale others about my experience even more so if like my boss on the phone today he was going...no no enough don't tell me anymore! My son walked out of the room when i showed him. Mean i know but one has to attain some degree of pleasure from adversity at times :o)
It still needs a bit of re dressing but tomorrow i will take a nice pic to show you.
So chemo cycle three tomorrow, feeling apprehensive as i was told initially that i wouldnt ever have Oxaly again because of the side effects, my feet are still tingly numb on the soles and this is likely to make it much worse.
But good news this morning, my application for DLA [Disability Living Allowance} was approved and they have put me on the higher rate! This means not worrying so much about not being able to work whilst having the treatment and also i can apply for a blue badge, not have to pay for raod tax and get a freedom pass in London. Now seeing as i am still working full time and on the face of it fit and well and able to get about ok i feel a bit of a fraud. But it will! help and to know that these things will be in place before i get to the point where i really do need them is great.
I have to go to the town hall in person to collect my blue badge assuming they allow me to have it, how should i enter the building! on all fours or with a pronounced limp?
I have always sad that money comes to me when i need it, i had sickness benefit when i was first diagnosed and claimed for it and the money arrived the day after i was four pounds away from the overdraught limit. The other thing that happened was that on Friday i got a letter out of the bllue from work to say that due to the business case and restructuring etc they needed to reduce my wages by around three thousand pounds a year from the 1st April. I do not wish this disease on anyone, but on Friday i have an appointment with the OH  to see if i can get early retirement, with the DLA decision in place and a letter i had from my oncologist i feel that they would be hard pushed to refuse. Again this has come just when i needed it, if something so awful was to happen to me at least i guess it came when it was most useful.
It is really odd to think that i likely will not be working soon and very very scary, but i am also looking forward to it and chemo willing there are so many things i need to get sorted, financially, legally and in terms of the house and stuff! at least i am not at the point where this would all be too draining, i don't know when that time will come but i intend to make the most of the 'good' health i have left.

No comments:

Post a Comment