Tuesday 21 February 2012

PICC Line and such

The PICC Line in the crook of my arm.
I went to the hospital today to have a PICC line installed ready fo the next chemo. It has been a while since i had to go through the double doors into the chemo suite, well actually only since last year, feels longer! When i had my first chemo in 2007 i was much slimmer and blonde and one of the nurses there i got on particularly well with Dee, when i had irinotecan last year she was off on maternity leave and i did miss seeing her. Well she was there today and i didn't assume that she would know me but she brightened up as soon as she saw me and knew who i was! Told me she had always thought of me and still had the hand cream i gave her in her bag!..... i did comment that she couldn't have liked it that much :o) she said she doesn't have to use too much of it. Then i find out that on Thurs when i am to have my chemo she won't be working!, i am going to see if i can change to Wednesdays just so's i can see her, it makes such a difference.
I also saw the bowel nurse and asked about Lesma who i had my last cycles of chemo with. We started on the same day and had the same chemo too, both whining when given the atropine injection. The last time i saw her she had been admitted to hospital and was very poorly. I sat with her for a little while and she told me that she was ready to go and it was fine, her daughter had even had her baby induced a couple of weeks early so that she could meet him. I was so upset and started to cry, i have had this experience with friends when i tell them about me and i am always taken aback by their responses.
I lost her number and didn't visit again as she had so many visitors and the longer i left it the more i thought that she would have gone. I did phone when i found her number....will have to look again for it but there was no answer. When i asked how she was i fully expected to be told that she had died, but she hasn't! What a relief, it just shows you that you can fight this thing against the odds, she is at least 6 months further on than she was given.
So a good day apart from being worked on with a mini scalpel, tubes and wires.

No comments:

Post a Comment