Wednesday 30 January 2013

Special K

Saturday morning after I returned to the ward I was quite sleepy, I wasn't aware of anything more than that but sue in the bed opposite said that they had been quite concerned about me and muttering about ketamine. I remember being woken by the nurse calling me and opened my eyes to see her looking at me quite intently, I had it seemed gone pinpoint and Jenny the nurse called the junior doctor to have a look at me. They decided to stop giving it to me and up the fentonil doses that I was getting. The hallucinations were still happening when my eyes were shut, the consultant anesthetisist came to see me and just before he arrived I told him that I had just seen people walking round but that they were drawn with a pencil, he said that this was a typical ketamine reaction and agreed I should come off it. Not sure why anyone would take it recreationally on the basis of my experience.
The night before sue in the opposite bed had realised that we had a mutual friend in suze from the beating bowel cancer forum so we became chatty very quickly. As we talked I could hear a voice from the end of the ward complaining about it is, later I could clearly hear her complaining to the nurse that she won't be bullied and she wanted to go home, she knows staff are busy but she needs them and she had enough and wanted to go, I realised that she was talking about me. The atmosphere became a little tense until Adam and Zak came to visit that afternoon, after they left pat suddenly exclaimed from her bed oh aren't your boys lovely, beautiful hair, lovely lovely boys. From that point I decided that it was better to work with her than against her.

1 comment: