Wednesday 9 January 2013

Admission day

So finally the admission date comes around. I had been told to wait until two pm and then someone would call to tell me what was happening. Three came and I decided to call, they still can't find a bed, at five they phone back and say you might as well come in to page ward although a bed still hasn't been found. I don't head in until 7 when I get there I am told that originally a bed was found on the other side of the hospital but that someone had just been discharged so I could stay he which is the digestive system ward.
I wait another couple of hours in the day room with a sweeping vista over Westminster  and Big Ben and the London eye.  Nurse comes in with a goody bag, two protein drinks, two pre op drinks and two sachets of picolax. Lovely!
I bolt down the picolax and then try one of the the fortisip drinks...tropical... Yuk!!!!! Unpalatable I don't make the black current either but they manage to find a caramel shake one, very nice.
Finally they lead me to the ward and the first thing that hits me is the stench!!!! I guess of people with wounds and no baths for a little while, it was truely awful. I immediately just wanted to go home, but instead I sat on the bed and unpacked. I ended up in tears I was hoping for something more like I experienced at Lewisham the wards there are fine but theses beds are too close together and as I said the smell!
I asked for the curtains to be drawn and after a while I was much better, managed to tether my I pad to my phone but it means that I will be constantly going over my data, I cannot believe that the hospital doesn't have wi fi access for the patients. They have one of those prepay tv,s over the bed but I will still to my I pad.
Lights went out at 11 and then this woman in the bed at the end started,  nuuuurse eye please oh dear no nurseesss in a very winy woe is me tone. Constantly!!!! For an hour nuuuuurse, however much sympathy you have for someone who has had surgery it wears thin as does her voice.
I have another picolax and wait for the results nothing as yet, I have been given an undulating bed I assume for pressure sores and to keep me moving after the op, it's like being on a boat! So now I am going to try and catch a bit of sleep I am to be woken at 6am if the bowels don't get me first for my pre op drinks, and then the old me will depart and this new model will appear nuuuuuurssseeee!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment