Saturday 17 March 2012

Another Taken By Bowel Cancer

As i get more involved with people who have been affected by bowel cancer i become more aware of what a deathly disease this is.....i hadn't realised already? well yes but i was diagnosed in Aug 2007 nearly five years ago, i still feel 'normal' i look 'normal' i am still working although i am soon to give up, it hasn't affected me as quickly as others. Two lovely people who i met through having a shared experience of Bowel Cancer have died in the last two months and whose blogs i followed on here....Carole and Lisa Lisa died on the 8th Feb and Carole last night the 16th March. I am so sad to hear of their passing and i think of their poor families coping without them for the first time.
It also brings it home to me that this is the path that i shall face at some point, and this is something that my boys will have to face in their future. I have been lucky so far, Carole was diagnosed in 2010 and had such a hard time since then, i need to make the most of the time i have whilst i feel well.
I had my second round of chemo on Wednesday and even before i left the chemo suite felt rough, not long after arriving home i went to bed for the duration but had to wake myself up to take chemo tablets later on, i was also physically sick just the once but this is not usual for me. Three days on i am still feeling rough a metallic feeling in the moouth and awful peripheral neuropathy, i was actually in tears on Thurs with how i felt and sods law it hurt like hell to cry!!! that'll teach me. It is gradually wearing off but the thought of having 6 more cycles makes me feel ill in itself. I hope that in a week or so i will be back on form and forget how this felt, it's a bit like childbirth give it a bit of time and you forget how bad it was. I have! to persevere, oxalyplatin worked well for me last time and the Avastin seems to be relieving the pelvic bleeding already, but goodness i understand how people can just give up. I want some more quality time now i am not working to squeeze holidays and things into with the boys, it worries me that this will become so debilitating that it will eat into that. The hope is that it affords me more years to sort out my affairs and make memories for the boys.
I am rambling now time to go.
RIP Carole x x x

No comments:

Post a Comment